Every small problem with your flat roof does not lead to a complete replacement. Some minor issues can be fixed using simple DIY flat roof repair techniques. We are talking about one such problem in this article: leakages.
What Is a Leakage?
Your roof starts to get all busted up once a few years after the installation passes. At times like this, the top often gets damaged from the insides and rainwater finds its way to penetrate house. You could find out about this problem by checking the interiors of your building. If you see places where water is dripping, then that is an obvious sign of leakage.
Leakages, especially the small ones, are tricky to discover in flat roofs. Water often flows through the cracks of the roofs but does not find a way out. Such damages only keep worsening until the time you find out about them. But even after that, these leakages can be repaired by yourself.
The Materials of a Flat Roof Repair
Before diving into your DIY roof project, you need to understand what materials you will work with. The most common materials used in the United States are listed below. You will probably be working with one of these.
- PVC is a plastic-based single-sheet roofing material. These materials are used to make the roof more flexible. They also have resistance to heat and UV rays.
- EPDM has very similar attributes to PVC. But the difference between them is EPDM is a rubber-based material for roofing.
- An accurate polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber ratio are needed to make TPO. This fused roofing material is an excellent choice if you want stability and flexibility simultaneously.
- Bitumen roofing is much stronger and durable than ethylene and rubber-based roofs. These roofs are so strong that you can use the rooftop area for small gatherings.
Among the materials above, DIY is only applicable to bitumen roofs. If you try to repair PVC or TPO roofing, you might harm them even more. Consider hiring professional flat roof repair service in such a case.
The Process of Flat Roof Repair
- The first thing you need to do for a flat roof repair is to locate the damage or leakage. You already know about this from the earlier segment of this article.
- The next step in this process is to define the distance of the leakage from the boundary walls. This will help you locate the leakage from the outside.
- Climb up the roof using a solid ladder. Consider asking a muscular adult to hold the ladder for you. This will make your flat roof repair project much safer.
- Now you have to use roof repair patches to close the crack. This flat roof repair product is very readily available in the market. They are very effortless to use. All you have to do is use heat on the patches. This will help them to stick to the roof.
- Voila! Your roof repair DIY project is successful.
No DIY for Major Issues
This DIY method can only prevent small leaks and punctures. But what will you do when big problems arise? You can’t face those challenges without professional help so control the DIY enthusiast inside you.
The Best Solutions for You: For All roof-related problems, Preferred Roofing is always eager to help you. We are Oklahoma based and have been doing flat roof repair jobs for a long time. Just give us a ring and state your problems. We are positive that we will be able to find a suitable solution for you.